- The stress of the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Martin Luther King, Super Bowl and Valentines Day).
- The financial stress and pressure to provide for the family during the season.
- The ties to the dysfunctional bio & step families.
- The failed expectations of the bio & step families of the client.
- The darkness of the seasonal weather - which is depressing.
- Various triggers that drive the client to medicate (HALTSBAD: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, Stressed, Bored, Anxious, and/or Depressed.
I also encourage them to spend time with healthy friends who can encourage them and hold them accountable. I often tell addicts who are just starting into their recovery to stay away from dysfunctional family members who are either addicts, codependents, control freaks, people who are black or white thinkers and/or who like to control through shame and guilt. These people love the drama of hurting and fixing others. Those who are in recovery need to break away from their Child / Parent mentality and become healthy adults.
The Fall and the Winter are more than Seasons to the Addict. It is a time to sharpen their tools and take their Recovery very seriously. For more information about sexual addiction visit my website or contact me to make an appointment.
Ross Gunn III
Skyview Counseling LLC
Office / Cell: (360) 991-7700
Mailing Address: Skyview Counseling
c/o Ross Gunn III
PO Box 532605, Kihei HI 96753